Pet rabbits need engaging activities to keep them busy and fulfilled. This holiday season, make some DIY fun toys using natural materials and recycled goods that your bunny will love.
DIY burrow box
Bunnies instinctively love digging around in the earth. Recreating this experience at home is easy using everyday materials.
What you need:
- Cardboard box or plastic litter box
- Hay or clean sand/potting soil
- Find a deep, sturdy box that your rabbit can dig in
- Fill the box with a clean digging medium
Fun bun tunnels
Wild rabbits spend a lot of time playing and relaxing in tunnels. Bunny parents can recreate this experience at home using cardboard tunnels.
What you need:
- Large cardboard tube (from construction supply store)
- Loose packing paper or newspapers
- Purchase large cardboard tube for concrete from a building supply store. Cut it to length as space requirements warrant.
- Stuff up one end with paper to create the feeling of a tunnel “end.” Your rabbit will love nestling up in this corner and digging around.
Rabbits need to chew on hard objects to keep their teeth healthy. Luckily, many common household items can be repurposed as chew toys.
Some popular choices include:
- Untreated and unvarnished pinecones
- Fresh tree branches
- Baby teething toys
- Old hand towels
- Phone books
- Cardboard boxes and tubes
Of course, all repurposed chew toys should be clean and free of chemical varnishes and treatments that could pose a danger to your pet.
Making holiday toys for your rabbit? We want to see them! Share your photos on Instagram or Facebook @NationwidePet.